60 Minutes To…A Heartfelt, Reality Check

We all have goals and dreams. Whether it’s running a half-marathon, wanting to take a two-week European holiday, or starting a new business, we all aspire at some point in our lives for something more. We take steps – big or small – towards those dreams. And no matter how hard you work, how much energy you put into it, how much you truly want it, sometimes life has different plans.

Turns out writing a daily blog is A LOT of work. Between developing the projects, taking and editing the photos, writing the posts, publicizing the posts, commenting on other blogs to get more followers, planning the editorial calendar, buying the supplies to create the projects….every extra hour I’ve had since August has been poured into this. And I’ve loved every second of it. But the harsh truth is it has come with many sacrifices.

Ironically, WRITING the Sixty Minute Housewife has prevented me from BEING the Sixty Minute Housewife.

This eight-hour-a-night gal has been averaging five hours of sleep. Coffee or long phone talks with girlfriends are gone. I am sometimes short-tempered with the kids and my hubby as I worry about my endless to-do list (plus this mama is just exhausted). Training for my half-marathon in January has slipped by the way side. Date nights are very rare. Laundry baskets are overflowing. Pictures that have been wanting to get hung for months are still on my bedroom floor. And thank you notes for my son’s birthday never did get written.

And the worst thing about it all….kids have been fussier, mama is STILL sick and my husband is really getting the short straw as every minute I have without the kids is spent on my computer.

So for now, Sixty Minute Housewife is going on hiatus.

This saddens me deeply, as I am gravely disappointed in myself for taking a break after only a couple of months. But the reality is that dreams are only as good as their imagineer, and in an effort to manage being a mom, wife, friend and PR practitioner, plus now a blogger, I am chipping away at myself, my spirit, my passions and the people I care most about.

I am using the holidays to reevaluate what I want from this little project of mine. I have enjoyed sharing my ideas with you my readers, and look forward to inspiring you more. I will come back in Janaury…even if it is just a couple posts a week.

Because I won’t give up on this dream…. and hope that you won’t give up on yours either no matter what roadblocks life hands you.

Much love and kisses,

Heather

Print Friendly
leave a commentfacebooktwitter

14 comments on “60 Minutes To…A Heartfelt, Reality Check

1. 1
    Jennifer says:

Aww, go easy on yourself, Heather! Hang in there and we’ll be here when you get back! ;) Now, go enjoy the ones you love! ;)

2. 2
    Lisa Bacharach says:

Heather, we have all loved reading your blog. It is so important to take care of yourself and your family. If and when you decide to pick this back up, we will still be here. We have the easy job, reading your tips ;-)

Take care!!!

3. 3
    Pam Pearson says:

Hi Heather, I know this was a difficult post for you to write. I just wanted you to know that you inspire us all the time with or without your blog. Whether it’s something cute that you’re wearing, some fabulous bow you made for your daughter, some furniture that you just took from drab to fab, or a tasty treat that our husband’s are raving about! Follow your heart and your dreams will follow :). And remember my friend, Rome wasn’t built in a day. We support you no matter what you decide! XO, Pam

4. 4

girl, don’t even sweat it!!! we all have to give stuff up to be the type of mommy / wife we want to be. (that’s been one of the hardest things for me to learn as a mom — hence MY little break :) enjoy the holidays and take a break. all your readers will be here when you come back :) xo

5. 5
    Teresa says:

I’m sure you’ve inspired us all once more by your dedication to your family. I’m sure this was a very tough decision, but one that you will not regret when enjoy your happy children and home. We’ll see ya when we see ya in the mean time enjoy the break.

6. 6
    Teri Blades says:

Hi Heather- I just wanted to let you know how much I’ve enjoyed reading your blog. I looked forward to reading your new post each day! You definitely inspire me! But I can understand the need to slow down. I hope you can return after the holidays. Even if it is just to inspire us once a week =) Thanks for all your hard work!!!

7. 7

No giving up girl! You’ve got great things to share, but it’s good to not forget why we do what we do :-) I love all your ideas, and tips, and recipes, and fun posts…..but dont kill yourself in the process!! You don’t need to post everyday. Take care of what’s important first, because you can’t be you unless you do. Once you’ve found time to breathe a little, then you can figure out where to fit this in. I would love to even read just 1 post a week. Maybe a Friday line up? Or Just a Monday project. You are a wonderful inspiration, just be sure to take care of you first :-) xxoo

8. 8

I LOVE hearing you say this because, after just one month of my own blogging journey, I’m thinking I am going to have to call a hiatus, too. It is just so much work isn’t it! Great, fun work, like you said, but time-consuming nonetheless. Thanks for all you have shared. Looking forward to seeing you again in the new year.

9. 9
    Tracie says:

Terrie and I both think we need at least one Thanksgiving and one Christmas blog from the 60 minute housewife – how are we going to add sparkle to the holidays without your fabulous ideas?! – no pressure, no pressure : ) On a side note – three stores (who knew Maple Extract was near impossible to find in Hawai’i) + $40.01 worth of ingredients (sometimes prices here are ridiculous!) = super awesome spice cake mix “cookies” & totally worth it! – you rock Heather! xoxo

10. 10
    Tricia says:

Heather,
    I’m a little late here but I just wanted to say that I Loved reading your blog!, I hope you can come back in January, even once a month. You have such great ideas and I love your writing style. Enjoy your holidays! By the way did I see that you went to Rosary for high school? I went to Connelly, but many years ago. :)
    Tricia

11. 11

Looking forward to your return, Heather! I’ve really loved your blog and all of your fabulous ideas. :-)

12. 12
    Lori Koerner says:

I just came across your blog and love it! You are extremely talented. But what I appreciated most, was this post. I love your honesty. I have been working on starting a blog myself, but continually find all the most important things (daughter, husband, peace at home) begin to suffer when I do. I know there is balance to be had, and I am working to find it. But it is helpful to know that other blogging moms feel the same way. Thank you for your inspiration and courage to pause and find that balance. I will do the same.

13. 13
    Carie Sauritch says:

Silly girl! 5 posts a week??? I LOVED every one of them, but you are human! I can’t imagine how time consuming that must have been. I hope you are finding some balance and can post occasionally. I would love to help any way that I can. Have a very happy Thanksgiving!!! :)

14. 14
    Amber Tatch says:

Heather
    Your blog is AMAZING!!! Just as you are! You are truly so inspiring ! you have my heart in the PURE JOY you have in taking care of your family. Your professional success , and Domestic abilities are above and beyond…ANYONE I have ever met! And your BEAUTIFUL!! you should be very PROUD!!!
    I wish we could hang out more…ahhh such is life with young kids! All my best

Amber